The annual Fast and Vigil is a grassroots, not-for profit effort to reach out to
TENS OF THOUSANDS of
people who are in Washington DC, promoting our message of abolition. Each year the fast and vigil is one of, if not the most, mutli-organizational, widely supported events in the abolition movement.
AND WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT THIS YEAR!
Your sponsorship and donation helps support the event in numerous ways.
Some of the highlights include:
- allowing more than 75 participants from 18+ different states to attend at no mandatory cost
- a place for out of town participants to sleep at the Center for Creative Nonviolence (which directly supports the CCNV’s programs to support the homeless in DC)
- water, juices, Gatorade and ice to keep the fasters and vigilers cool and hydrated
- 4,000+ brochures to educate both visitors and locals about the death penalty
- an air conditioned base at the United Methodist Building for bathrooms and breaks from the heat
- large visible banners which are seen by tens of thousands on the streets of DC
Thank you in advance for your generous financial support. Without your contribution, this amazing all-volunteer, grassroots witness would not be able to continue in the capacity that it has all these years.
There are two easy ways to donate right now.
- Preferred Method: Pay by check (it saves us on credit card processing fees*). Just send a check in along with the sponsorship form that you can download here (.pdf file).
- Donate online: If you prefer not to pay by check, visit our
secure online donations page. At checkout, please include a note in the “comments” field indicating how the sponsporship listing should appear on our website and materials (i.e.,name of the organization, your individual name(s), anonymous, etc). In addition to the online payment, we ask that you fill out and return the sponsorship form via mail or email so we can give you proper credit and thanks.
* Make your donation go further and pay by check!
What do you get out of it?
Help us to avoid costly credit/debit card processing fees
- Sponsor's names are listed on a signs at the Fast and Vigil as well as on this web page.
- The petition we use is copied and each state organization affiliated with the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty gets a set that includes those who signed up from their state.
Sponsors in 2017 (as of June 24th):
The Abolitionist Action Committee (AAC) would like to thank the
participants, individuals and organizations whose contributions have
made this event possible each and every year.
Annually, the list of supporters includes anywhere from 50 to 60 cosponsors from many state and national organizations, making the Fast and Vigil perhaps one of the most multi-organizational supported events in the abolition movement.
Amnesty International Group 213 of Raleigh, NC
Amnesty International USA
Abe and Isaac Bonowitz and Beth Wood
Catholic Mobilizing Network
Community for Creative Non-Violence
Death Penalty Action
Dorothy Day Catholic Worker
Equal Justice USA
Gainesville Citizens for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
Joan Cheever and "Seven Dates with Death" - in honor of Moreese Bickham, Furman Class of '72
Journey of Hope... From Violence to Healing
Kehilla Community Synagogue
Lynchburg Peace Education Center
Marianist Social Justice Collaborative
Dick and Eileen Melia
National Benedictines for Peace
New Hope House
Next Day Sign Express
Pax Christi Phoenix
Pax Christi USA
Jack and Chris Payden-Travers
Bruce and Julie Pearson
People of Faith Against the Death Penalty
Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty
Bill and Debbie Quigley
Saint Ambrose Catholic Church
South Dakotans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
Rev. Dr. Jack Sullivan, Jr.
Tennesseans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
Texas Moratorium Network
The ELLA Foundation
United Methodist Church's General Board of Church and Society
Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
Witness to Innocence
Anonymous from Canada
Anonymous from Kansas